The APEC RO-PERM filtration system is a five-stage system that incorporates a reverse osmosis filter in its fourth of five filtration stages. Another important item of note is that this system is specifically designed for homes with low water pressure. If the water pressure in your home is over 50 PSI you should get one of APECs higher pressure systems like the RO-90. Just like other APEC products, this one is designed to be easy-to-install and maintain and as long as you keep up with the filters it is a great solution to poor drinking water quality in both urban and rural environments.
In general, it’s a good idea to make sure that you know a bit about osmosis filters before buying one, while water quality is improved drastically, it does produce quite a bit of waste water, about three gallons of brine water for every one gallon of drinking water produced. And if you live in an area that has water with a poor taste but not a lot of dissolved solids or contaminants you may be better off just getting a simpler or less expensive system.
However, if you are trying to filter well water, or live in a city where you are much more likely to experience issues with bacterial or heavy metal contamination –or even especially if you are worried about cumulative toxicity of hex chromium, [easyazon_link identifier=”B00HSV2WZA” locale=”US” tag=”cleanwaterhome-20″]APEC’s RO PERM[/easyazon_link] is the kind of advanced filtration system you will need if you want to get your drinking water up to snuff.
APEC RO-PERM Low Pressure Reverse Osmosis Filtration System Features:
- Five stage filtration system
- including polypropylene sediment filter to remove sediment and rust, two carbon filters which remove chlorine, VOCs and other sources of odor and off flavors, a reverse osmosis Dow Chemical filter designed to remove dissolved solids, heavy metals, bacteria, and essentially any other contaminant, and a coconut shell carbon filter designed to improve taste. Stages one through 3 should last for twelve months. Stages four and five need to be changed every three to five years.
- Permeate pump
- This is the part of the system that is specific to the RO-PERM and allows it to operate in low pressure homes and actually fill the tank at a decent speed; it is also designed to be more water conservative compared to similar systems.
- Easy to install
- This system includes quick connect fittings, which means installation takes relatively little time.
While a bit pricey, this system is worth it for the simple fact that it works. It delivers water faster than other systems in low pressure households and delivers it at a better quality. Because it is a US-based company, customer service is fast and responsive. And best of all, it is easy to setup, requiring no special tools or training. Overall I would definitely recommend it for anyone that lives in an area where tap water quality is subpar and whose house runs below 50 PSI. Improved water taste is a byproduct of healthier drinking water, which the APEC Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System for Low Water Pressure Homes provides.
- As noted above this system is really easy to install. It comes mostly assembled. The quick fittings meant that you just have to push it into place and wrap it and it is set. Total time to set up shouldn’t be more than two hours or so.
- This system is actually made in the US. Basically, this means that you are actually using high quality filters rather than the cheap Chinese ones that sometimes are used in other systems. Additionally, it means that the helpline for APEC is pretty responsive, with customers finding them to be knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.
- The water quality is impeccable and honestly better than a lot of bottled waters available on the market. Depending on where you live, you’ll certainly save money in the long run, even while you offer higher-quality water to friends and family.
- It is convenient and easy to upgrade and modify the system; APEC sells various accessories, including a larger tank and the setup for an icemaker. Additionally, the quick connects make it easy to Frankenstein your own setup as the situation demands.
- Comes with a one year satisfaction guarantee from APEC
- The standard tank is 4 gallons. This is sufficient for a house with a few people but if you have a large family you may want to upgrade to a larger tank.
- The unit does make a small amount of noise. If the space under your cabinet isn’t well insulated you will hear a sort of muffled, intermittent clicking sound.
- Just like any other made-in-America product, it is at a moderately higher end of the price spectrum. And nothing shows this like the filters. A full set for all five stages is listed at $123 on the company website.