The Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System is an attachment for showers that creates a healthy, cleansing shower environment for the user. It uses two different filtration methods, natural coconut shell carbon and copper/zinc media, to assure quality water is being used in the shower. The filter eliminates a vast majority of harsh chlorine within shower and raises the pH balance of the water in order to ensure a more enjoyable shower that leaves the user feeling soft, healthy, and clean. By preventing chlorine from entering the shower, the filter ensures that users will avoid skin rashes or irritation and will notice hair looking healthier and less brittle. This filter will not decrease the water pressure already present in the shower, and is a welcome addition to homes using city water or water that is cleaned using chlorine.
Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System Features:
- Has dual-stage filtration with up-flow filter design is ideal for providing filtration to the daily shower.
- It removes over 90% of chlorine within shower water, leading to softer skin and healthier hair.
- Dimensions: 7.23 x 8.5 x 3.2 in.
- Flows at 2.5 gallons per minute
- Filters and enhances pH balance of shower water.
Overall, consumer feedback is pretty mixed about this filter. While over half of consumers that review this product give it a perfect rating, about a fourth of consumers who review this product gave it three stars or less (out of five).
The main complaint consumers have about this water filter is that it is expensive over time and breaks because of its plastic make. However, almost all consumers agree that there is a noticeable positive difference between the water with the filter than their water without the filter. Consumers report softer skin, healthier hair, and fewer odors from the water while using the filter. Another quality of the filter that consumers have complaints about is the height of the water spray after installation.
Because of the size of the water filter, some showerheads are unable to be pointed downward. However, some consumers rectify this issue by installing the filter at a slight angle so that the showerhead attached can be pointed downward. This seems to be more of an issue for shorter consumers.
Lastly, consumers recommend finding out what is used to purify the water that will be filtered before buying this system. If the chemical being used is chloramine instead of chlorine, this filter will be mostly ineffective in filtering the water. Aquasana recommends their “Rhino ‘Whole of the House’ Water Filter” that does a better job filtering chloramine.
- Can be installed quickly and with no plumber required.
- Can be used with most showerheads that the consumer may already own, and does not require a special showerhead attachment (although they are available for purchase with the system).
- Consumers can enjoy noticeably improved showers that leave their skin and hair feeling softer and cleaner than before installation. Consumers can also experience reduced asthma symptoms because of the cleaner water.
- Replaceable filter is inexpensive and lasts for up to six months or 10,000 gallons. It lasts longer than less expensive shower filtration systems.
- While there seems to be more disadvantages for this filter than there are advantages, consumers seem to be pleased with the quality of the filtration and of the product. Many complaints about the filter do not seem to have to do with what the filter advertises. For instance, some negative reviews focus around the fact that this filter doesn’t change the quality of the hard water in the shower. However, this filter is not designed to be a water softener. Other disadvantages relating to the quality of this water filter are:
- Does not completely filter chloramine, which is a similar chemical used by some water authorities to cleanse water for regular use.
- Replaceable filters cost about $35, and the filter needs to be replaced about every six months (depending on usage). This means that this filtration system will additionally cost approximately $70 a year.
- Difficult to install without leaks because it needs to be attached to the shower hose that connects to the wall and the shower hose that connects to the showerhead.
- Replaceable filter needs to be flushed out extensively (for about 10 minutes) before first use.
- Some consumers have difficulty with pointing their showerheads downward because the filtration system is in the way.
- Most of the system is made out of plastic, and some consumers complain the system doesn’t last a long time because of it.